Bram Moolenaar wrote:
Mostly PageUp and PageDown do the reverse of each other.  If you
mean that the cursor has moved, that is a completely different thing.

I'm not sure what "completely different thing" adds. I'm just trying
to respond to your call for suggestions on how to make Vim more
attractive to new users. I know a couple of people who don't like
the fact that, in Vim, PageUp does not reverse PageDown.
Naturally I am talking about the cursor moving.

Switching off search highlighting is part of the tutor.  People who
skip the vimtutor are going to run into trouble anyway.

OK - but you could make Vim more attractive if (when enabled
by some new option) pressing Escape in Normal mode cleared
search highlights and cleared the message line.

I do agree that good defaults are important.  But backwards
compatibility is also important.  It's not always easy to make
a choice.

Suggestion: Provide a simple way for a user to invoke a
standard set of predefined mappings. In fact, there could
be various predefined "themes" that insert useful settings
into vimrc.

Then, I could write an email to a friend saying
"Run gvim and do <stuff to select a theme>.
Then you can press F11 to do <clever thing>".
For example, perhaps F11 = ":cn", Shift-F11 = ":cp".

Naturally there would be a lot of different opinion on what
should be included. Anything would be better than the current
situation where I have to convince a prospective new user
to become a guru before they can use some of Vim's
brilliant features.

John