Davic Necas wrote:

> On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 02:24:09PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> >
> > This is not a bug, an empty src/auto/config.h is included, because
> > otherwise "make depend" doesn't work.
>
> I would rather say this means an additional problem in the
> Makefiles.  If a rule requires src/auto/config.h, it should
> create it (directly or indirectly by dependences) when it
> does not exist.  That's what make is for.

This is a chicken-egg problem: You can't generate src/auto/config.h
without figuring out dependencies first.  I ran into this problem once
and having to create an empty config.h file manually is bad.

> If `make distclean' can remove src/auto/config.h and create
> it empty, why it cannot be created [empty] by the thing that
> actually needs it?

Hmm, perhaps that would work.  Perhaps someone can try it out.
The trick is to make it so that you don't rebuild too often.

> This indeed works strangely; for instance `make -jN' with
> N > 1 works with freshly unpacked sources, but it breaks
> completely after `make distclean' -- which one would expect
> to get the source tree to the same state.

Well, figure out why it breaks and fix it...

126. You brag to all of your friends about your date Saturday night...but
     you don't tell them it was only in a chat room.