[Bram Moolenar]

So how do I tell make that I want to build three targets in sequence
then?  For generice make, not GNU make.

It was once forbidden to depend on GNU make in GNU packages. I guess the first package to blatantly break this rule has been GNU libc. So,
most of our habits were developed for generic make.

When one wants to build three targets in sequence, there is some reason for needing to build one before another, such needs are dependencies indeed, to be expressed explicitly as such. So, instead of:

  goal: a b c
       ACTIONS

one writes, after having identified the real needs:

  goal: c
       ACTIONS

  c: b

  b: a

Another approach I saw at times, but not so commendable, is:

  goal:
       $(MAKE) a
       $(MAKE) b
       $(MAKE) c