Hi,

Ali Akcaagac wrote:
A lot of the readers here als prefer lftp as good choice for ftp'ing.
Well, since I do use ncftp anyway on several platforms I've
got ncftpget for free and so the posted approach is perfectly
fine for me. I don't speak for others, of course, just trying
to show and share a neat solution.

Your two lines of getting the patches is indeed nice.
It is only one line ;). Similar like your wget approach in
getvim.sh:
   ncftpget ftp.vim.org . '/pub/editors/vim/patches/7.1/7.1.*'

So my fully-automatic build - this has been my goal - looks
now like this (snippet from the Makefile):

all:
        tar xfj vim-7.1.tar.bz2
        tar xfz vim-7.1-lang.tar.gz
        tar xfz vim-7.1-extra.tar.gz
        (cd vim-7.1.patches ; ncftpget ftp.vim.org .
'/pub/editors/vim/patches/7.1/7.1.*')
        cat vim-7.1.patches/7.1.* > patchfile
        (cd vim71 ; patch -p0 < ../patchfile)
        (cd vim71 ; ./configure --prefix=$(PREFIX) --with-x
--enable-gui=gtk2 --enable-multibyte --enable-xim --enable-fontset
--enable-perlinterp --enable-cscope && make)

Can also be done with wget only. Please allow me to remind the people
here on the "getvim" script that I once wrote. It collect all patches and made one huge patchfile out of it. Quite trivial to use.
Using one huge patchfile is also my approach as you can see
above and on Unix/Linux systems this can be done with a simple
"cat 7.1.* > patchfile" 'cause the right sorting order is already
built-in. If somebody has got another experience with, e.g.
different locale settings, I would appreciate to know.

As Tony has pointed out already, this doesn't work on Dos /
Windows as the sorting order seems to be different there,
unfortunately.

http://www.akcaagac.com/tools/files/shell/getvim.sh
I had a look: interesting and new to me is your approach with
"seq". I'll remember this when I need a sequence of formatted,
ascending numbers in a shell script. But for creating the vim
patchfile with all patches included it is overdone, IMO. In this
case you even need to edit the script with every new patch (see:
$SUBLEVELEND). Plus you still need to apply the patch and build
manually.

Kind regards,
  Stephan.