On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 11:00 +0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Slightly Off-topic, but I'm still wondering why bottom-posting is
> prefered on Vim Mainling List.
>
> As far as I know, most e-mail clients defaults to top-posting (i.e.
> replied message shows before the original message), and I personally
> feel top-posting much much easier to read than bottom-posting.
>
> Is there any point (or historic reason) choosing bottom-post ?

Two different explanations:

1. http://www.american.edu/cas/econ/htmlmail.htm

  (See under "Interlineated responses")

2. (One of my favorite signatures)

:: A: Because it's not the order people normally read.
:: Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
:: A: Top-posting.
:: Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?

You could say that top posting is easier to write, but bottom posting
is easier to read. The extra effort of one poster saves all the
readers the same amount of effort. For a group, bottom posting keeps
everyone on track. And if done well, individual posts can stand alone
in an archive without a peruser having to go paging through a whole
thread.

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect dancingpaper com ]