Posted by Todd Zywicki:
WINE WARS, PART 16—O’CONNOR ON OTHER SENATORS AND PROPOSED §3:

   Justice O'Connor cites a litany of other Senators who she believes
   support her interpretation. Rather than beating a dead horse still
   further I will just offer a brief comment on each of these. "Still
   others emphasized the plenary power granted the States by § 2. Senator
   Walsh, a member of the Subcommittee that had held hearings on the
   Amendment, said: `The purpose of the provision in the resolution
   reported by the committee was to make the intoxicating liquor subject
   to the laws of the State once it passed the State line and before it
   gets into the hands of the consignee as well as thereafter.' Id., at
   4219." Obviously, this specific mention of the "consignee as well as
   thereafter," refers to the precise language used in the Supreme
   Court's earlier commerce clause decisions in Rhodes, etc., so this is
   quite clearly narrowly targeted at that interpretation of the commerce
   clause and suggests nothing about giving the states power to enact
   discriminatory regulations.
   She also adds comments by Senator Robinson, "In response to a question
   from Senator Swanson, Senator Robinson of Arkansas affirmed that `it
   is left entirely to the States to determine in what manner
   intoxicating liquors shall be sold or used and to what places such
   liquors may be transported.' Id., at 4225. Thus, upon the motion of
   Senator Robinson, the Senate voted to strike § 3 from the proposed
   Amendment. Id., at 4179." Again, the import of this is quite clear and
   quite the opposite of what Justice O'Connor believes it means. Under
   the 21st Amendment, as with Webb-Kenyon, under their police power the
   states had the authority define what constituted intoxicating liquors
   and how they were to be sold and transported within a state. The
   federal authority incorporated these state laws into the Webb-Kenyon
   Act for purposes of enforcement. Senator Robinson makes clear that his
   criticism is again that the problem with §3 is that it does not
   withdraw the federal government from local activities. "The issue here
   is whether the federal Government is going to take away from the
   States all power after repealing the eighteenth amendment, in the even
   the repeal shall be ratified." Cong. Rec. 4226. He then goes on to
   discuss his desire to prevent the return of the saloon, but that
   proposed §3 was not the way to do it. There is nothing in this effort
   to withdraw the federal government from local affairs that implies
   that §2 was intended to allow the states to invade the federal
   government's commerce power.
   Speaking immediately after Senator Robinson, Senator Tydings
   elaborated on the point. After reciting the abysmal failure of federal
   prohibition he stated, "I say that we never should have taken this
   question [regulation of the saloon] from the States. It is not a
   national question. It is a local question, and it can be solved best
   in the communities that have to deal with it. This government never
   was conceived with the idea that we would reach out into every
   community and govern the habits and the morals and the religion of
   people in those communities. We were to deal with national questions
   only--the Army and the Navy, intestate and foreign commerce, post
   offices and post roads, and the rest of the 18 powers govern to us by
   the Constitution. We had no right at all except by turning our backs
   upon the philosophy of the Constitution, to go out in the States and
   assume this power and this control. The sooner we give it back to the
   States the sooner we shall establish law and order and decency and
   some respect for government."
   Senator Bingham immediately followed Senator Tydings. His remarks were
   focused on the fact that the framers of the original Constitution
   specifically considered and chose not give to the federal government a
   general police power authority to enact "sumptuary legislation, "which
   would deal with the habits of the people, with what they ate, drank,
   and wore," but that they recognized that this moral regulation was
   properly a matter for the local communities. He then added, "In
   adopting the eighteenth amendment we interfered with the growth of
   temperance" by trying to impose a uniform national standard of
   morality on the country. Again, his remarks make no reference to
   giving the states new powers to regulate interstate commerce, but
   focus solely on the failure of national prohibition.
   I will spare the reader further prolonged recitation of statements on
   this point. In an earlier post I went through the real legislative
   history of the 21st Amendment in some detail, but the discussion here
   is designed to show that even those few snippets that Justice O'Connor
   points to do not support her interpretation.