Jones, your description below about metallic hydrogen stimulates me to
wonder about atoms, molecules, particles, and condensed matter.  Obviously
a single atom of H is not metallic hydrogen.  A single molecule of hydrogen
is more "dense" than the H/D(1) species of Rydberg matter.  I don't think
anyone would categorize an ordinary H2 molecule as metallic or condensed
matter. The X(1) species of Rydberg matter is shown to exist in particular
for H/D and the alkali metals having commonly 7 or more atoms.  Are these
Rydberg clusters better described as large molecules?  A small particle of
metal? Generalized condensed matter?  How do you ascribe mass density to
something only one atomic layer thick?  It is interesting to consider.

The Rydberg matter "snowflakes" called X(1), where X is usually an alkali
metal, are called Rydberg because the electron orbitals are highly excited
Rydberg states in high order flattened (nearly planar) orbitals.  The
nuclear separation of H(1) is bigger than that for the H2 molecule.
Existence for X(1) Rydberg matter particles (clusters, molecules) is well
reproduced, modeled, measured, and is utilized by many based on the well
described characteristics of the snowflakes obtained, in a large part, from
rotational spectroscopy.

The existence of Holmlid's ultra-dense form is not reproduced, and what
form it might take is completely speculative.  The evidence for it appears
to be solely from the accelerated species found in supposed Coulomb
Explosion (CE).  Why is this species not be examined by conventional
rotational spectroscopy, as has been used to verify the existence of the
X(1) Rydberg matter?  I would think that the comprising atoms could NOT be
in a DDL state, because if they were, they would not be susceptible to
photonic ionization (DDL states are supposed to have too little angular
momentum to form a photon), which Holmlid claims causes CE and is his basis
for the existence of the D(-1) / D(0) state of matter in the first place.
Since the D(-1)=D(0) matter is supposedly susceptible to photo-ionization
and CE, it seems like it should also be detectable in a rotational spectrum.