Jed,
In medieval times there were rules decided by people in a certain trade if
they would allow any new person to establish business in that trade. They
were supposed to be able to see the need for more resources. Guess what?
They made competition non-existent. Today the licensing has ambition to
protect the consumer. In reality it is just no protection but plenty of job
opportunity and income to government. (Just FYI 1790 is not medieval time
to me. In addition the building codes is not what I talked about.)
You say 'for good reasons' which reasons are those good one. That rules has
not changed and that we have laws that cannot be enforced as they should
have been eliminated 50 years ago is hardly a good reason. It is rather a
sign for inefficient government and inability to adopt to modern times.
Examples can be laws about adultery.

You know Jed, who really make the rules is of less importance. The
politics, involved in making the rules, are so outrageously free from
common sense that trying to justify regulations with such statements is
like shooting oneself in the foot. ( I have my problem with the language
but tautology?)

You have never been involved in the setting of industry standards I can
hear. Reality is that it is filled with lobbying and people protecting
there own ways of doing things by forcing legislation to force other to go
the same (often expensive and meaningless). As I said the same impact as
medieval trust laws. So bringing private industry to the table is just
increasing the stupidity and eliminating competition.

The last paragraph shows a very low opinion of your peers and the
population in general. No, things does not become chaos because government
is not involved. There are not that many areas where we can see the
difference between one and the other. In some areas there are parallels but
than, when not government organized it is criminal and that skews the
picture. Examples are prostitution, weed sales etc.

Best Regards ,
Lennart Thornros

lenn...@thornros.com
+1 916 436 1899

Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe and
enthusiastically act upon, must inevitably come to pass. (PJM)