H LV <hveeder...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ​This seems like an appropriate moment to bring up an important and
> neglected men's issue. In the US, men comprise  93% of workplace deaths.

I do not think this has anything to do with a bias against men. It is a
bias against women working in certain industries. The two most dangerous
jobs in the U.S. are working on fishing boats, and working as a nighttime
gas station or convenience store cashier. Other dangerous jobs include
things like working in mines, heavy industry, slaughterhouses, building
trades and so on. People I know who have been in building trades for
decades all have scars to show for it, and most of them have seen people
maimed or killed. Women seldom work on fishing boats, or in heavy industry,
mining etc.

It takes a very strong person to work on a fishing boat. Women on average
are somewhat less strong than men so you would not expect to see as many
women on fishing boats even if there were no bias and even if it were not
awkward for them to be crammed into small boats for weeks.

Modern industry is nowhere near as dangerous as it used to be. In the
1930s, my father was a fireman in the merchant marine, shipping out of New
York to South America. He said there was not one voyage where he did not
see someone at the docks killed or maimed. He himself was maimed after 6
years, nearly losing his life. His arm was crushed. It kept him out of
combat in WWII, so I guess in a sense it saved his life. The ship he was on
is now at the bottom of the Atlantic, sunk by a German U Boat. He would
have gone down with it.