Jed,
I do believe you have a house inPA and that it is welluilt following rules
from 1790.
I am fine with your father was a good member of NIST if you say so.
I did not read much of your other examples of poor regulations. I actually
try to say that old obsolete laws are still in the law books as there is no
interest of implement changes. Instead there are in addition to people's
normal resistance to change a bureaucratic force added, when it comes to
working with old laws.
The degree of freedom one generation compared to another is hard to be
categorical about. If basic needs were not met then the freedom was not
real. Rules 150 years ago could often not be enforced so the reality was
the same, some laws made a difference and others were just shadow boxing. I
do not care. I would like to look forward and try to find ways to implement
the new and changing world to our society. (I know I brought in a word
about medieval trade practices. I thought that everyone agreed they were no
good. Obviously you believe different and therefore the example was no good
for you. )

Best Regards ,
Lennart Thornros

lenn...@thornros.com
+1 916 436 1899

Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe and
enthusiastically act upon, must inevitably come to pass. (PJM)