H LV <hveeder...@gmail.com> wrote:

I do not think this has anything to do with a bias against men. It is a
>> bias against women working in certain industries.
>>

> ​You have provided the usual feminist opinion and ignored my argument.

That's silly. Everyone knows that it would be impractical for women to work
on most small fishing boats. For that matter, most men are incapable of it.
I would be killed in about 5 minutes at sea on a small boat. You have to
grow up doing it. My late father grew up with boats and ships in Freeport
Long Island and Bermuda, and he knew dozens of ways to kill yourself or
drown. Without that kind of background you are a dead duck in a small boat.
If you have ever been on a small boat in a rough sea you will know what I
mean.

What we need to do is abolish fishing. It is a dance with death. It will
never be safe. I mean abolish doing it by people. Only robots should do it.
Better yet, grow fish in fish farms.

We need to gradually automate all dangerous jobs, including jobs in
construction.

This has nothing to do with being a man or woman *per se*. It has to do
with having years of experience doing tough, dangerous jobs. In Japan,
women do a lot of the farming and fishing, especially diving in the Inland
Sea. I have seen 70-year-old women handle heavy equipment, chains saws,
small ferry boats, tractors and so on, and do many things that would kill
you in no time if you tried to do them.

The most dangerous thing that most of us do is drive cars. Self driving
cars should greatly reduce accidents. On Saturday, on Route 78 in
Pennsylvania there was a terrible multiple car accident, with 64 vehicles,
3 people killed and 74 injured. It was caused by whiteout conditions. I
think self driving cars would have avoided this, because they would "see"
through the snow with their radar (I hope). See:

http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/2016/02/nj_woman_killed_73_injured_in_major_pileup_in_pa.html

> ​Thank you for providing the anecdotal evidence that men actually do
> suffer. Is women's suffering some how more important?​

Your statements are preposterous. No one wants men or women to suffer. We
have made tremendous progress in reducing industrial accidents. Thanks to
OSHA, common sense, and automation.

No one in the industry wants people to suffer or have accidents. Even in
1936 it was bad for business. It was expensive for industry even then. My
father got several years off and a paid college education because his arm
was mangled on the ship. He got Workmen's Compensation, which he used to go
to school.