a.ashfield <a.ashfi...@verizon.net> wrote:

Please explain why more education will help when there aren't enough jobs.
> The estimates I see suggest there will only be one new job for every five
> that are lost.

In the past, education helped because automation and robots usually
replaced unskilled labor. I think for the next few decades they will
continue to replace unskilled labor more quickly than skilled or
intellectual labor. For example, self driving cars will replace taxi
drivers.

I do not think more education is an adequate response to the problem, but
it may help.

Up until the 1930s, in the U.S. we responded to automation by reducing the
work week from around 60 hours to 40 hours. The 2 day weekend became
common. It might help to reduce the work week to 4 days (32 hours), with a
3-day weekend, leaving salaries more or less where they are now. This would
spread around the remaining labor. Beyond that, there would be no point to
a 3-day work week. For most jobs, in order to stay proficient and stay on
top of events you have to go at least 4 days a week. In a job such as
programming, or piloting airplanes, you lose proficiency remarkably
quickly. (So the pilots tell me.) Even a 3-day weekend might have an
impact.

Nowadays many working poor people hold 2 or 3 jobs, working more than 40
hours a week, because they are not paid a living wage. This increases
unemployment.