The surface plasmon polariton (SPP) is first born out of concentrated
infrared photons, but it gets to a stage where it can extract nuclear
binding energy out of the nucleus. That energy is stored and downshifted
through FANO resonance in a soliton until the SPP decays whereupon its EMF
 energy content now in the XUV and X-ray range is released to the far
field.

I have been saying for years now that a cold reactor will cause gamma
radiation. IMHO, this is due to the failure to form a Bose condensate among
many Surface Plasmon Polaritons (SPP)s. Lack of sufficient polariton
pumping allows the SPP to initiate the LENR reaction, but not enough
thermal pumping to create a bose condensate among the SPPs to spread the
radiation around to thermalize or downshift gamma level radiation through
super-absorption among many SPPs.

Low temperature means many SPP are working alone thereby creating x-rays
because no downshifting is possible.

High temperatures means many SPPs working together in a BEC to share energy
throughout the SPP ensemble through super-absorption.

SPP pumping is similar to laser pumping
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_pumping

Until the SPP pumping gets to an inversion condition, a SPP bose condensate
cannot be formed.

Weak pumping means no laser beam is produced.

Usually, the x-xay stage lasts only a few seconds during startup on
shutdown when the reactor is cold or is getting cold.