From: Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Mon, Mar 14, 2016 10:36 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Re: EM Drive(s)

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 9:24 PM, Bob Cook <frobertc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

If a pulsed magnetic field is involved in the EM drive it may be that effective
momentum is sent off into space as a pulsed magnetic field with some effective
mass associated with the average intensity of the magnetic field pulse—energy
associated with the pulse.

This is along the lines that I was thinking.

Consider a simple thought experiment. We have a microwave waveguide with the
output focused in a single direction sitting out in the middle of space where
there is little in the way of an external field.  Attached to it is a battery
sufficient to drive a magnetron at 10 W for some period of time.  We turn on
the magnetron remotely.  Microwave photons with a total power amounting to 10 J
per second are now being emitted in a preferred direction.  For the sake of
argument we will go with the well-accepted assumption that photons have no
mass.  Nonetheless they have momentum, and in order for the system to conserve
momentum it will move in a direction opposite the majority of the photons.

We have yet not specified what the system is pushing off of, but I don't think
we need to in order for the thought experiment to work.

Eric