I recall hearing that everyone with a master's degree in Italy is called
"Doctor," and Wikipedia indicates that this is the case [1]. That implies
that Penon need not have a PhD to be called "dottore."  That also makes
sense of why people call Rossi "Dr. Rossi," although I think the rules of
the language being used (English) should take precedence here.

As Penon's CV shows, he has a "Laurea" (Master's degree) in nuclear
engineering.

Eric

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurea#Former_status_of_the_Laurea_degree