It used to be that you needed just a 4 years degree (that involved a final
thesis) called a Laurea to become a dottore in Italy. It is not really the
equivalent of Master but something a bit more but not quite a PhD.
Eventually a Dottorato di Ricerca was introduced and that is the Italian
equivalent of an anglosaxon PhD.

Giovanni