At 06:31 PM 9/29/2009, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

They said they emphasized their own work because they understood their own work best, and they could discuss it in depth with the panel without fear of making a mistake or misrepresenting the work. That seems sensible to me.

Sensible and very wrong. There is another reason to discuss your own work. It's your work, you are close to it, you think it's important. And your judgment about that might well be clouded. The big lacuna is Miles, of course, very old evidence, and heavily verified.

They made a big deal about Miles! Right there in section 3. They didn't ignore other people's work, especially not his. They emphasized their own work, but they commented on many others.

Yeah. My memory is probably defective on that, I haven't looked recently. They don't make as big a deal out of heat/helium as Storns does, it didn't seem as clear to me, and the Appendix torpedoed it, by also talking about helium in a way that diverted attention from the much more solid information in the main body. It's just a theory, Jed, that might explain why the helium evidence was ignored by one of the reviewers, who misrepresented it, and then the reviewer took that misrepresenation and distorted it even more, until what was a clear correlation was presented as an anti-correlation that, on the fact, made it look like helium and heat were not strongly correlated.

I wasn't there. I don't know what the presentations were like. But McKubre is an accomplished lecturer.

He's impressive in what I've seen.

I have transcribed his talks and published them pretty much verbatim, as papers. Hagelstein is pretty good too. The paper they presented makes things quite clear. It as edited, improved and commented upon by many people before the presentation, including me. It was not dashed off in a rush. Some of the panel members understood the issues perfectly well. If the others did not, I suppose they were not paying attention or thinking things through. I doubt it was the fault of the people making presentations.

"Fault" is a tricky word. Could it have been done better? Probably. You know my opinion about the 2004 Review. It was the turning point, it established credibility for the field *if it is read carefully.* It was presented, though, as a confirmation of the 1989 review, which is actually preposterous, they were like night and day. Or maybe like the dead of night vs. the dawn.