At 11:03 AM 9/29/2009, you wrote:
Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

For their part, the cold fusion "believers" did a lousy job of selling it.

I agree their public relations efforts have not been good. I think it is a bad idea to make conference proceedings only available as copyright books. Biberian recently told me that they have sold only 85 copies of the ICCF-10 and ICCF-11 proceedings.

Right. Now, what that means, probably, is that the publishers lost money. Bad model. Better model: on-line copies free. On-demand printed copies for a modest price that includes some funding to support the activity. The system as it is provides nothing to the people who actually do the hard work, the researchers. At least as far as I understand it. Now, it seems that the ACS LENR Sourcebook sold out and went into at least one additional printing. And it's phenomenally expensive, for what it is. It could be a small fraction of the price for an on-demand published and bound book, yet have the same utility for readers.

However, I think many researchers have a good job presenting their results in well-written, convincing papers. There is enough good material out there to make a solid case. Goodness knows, there is also enough bad material to make cold fusion look crazy. But all endeavors involving large numbers of people are a mixture of competent and incompetent, brilliant and stupid. You have to judge by what is best.

You have to judge by all of it, though it depends on what you are judging!

The earliest effect that was actually conclusive was heat/helium correlation, which cut through the replication problem and turned it into classic proof through correlation (and this makes "failures" into controls). Somehow the presentation at the 2004 DoE review managed to sufficiently confuse the reviewers and the DoE so that the correlation was missed, and totally misrepresented in the summary report.

This is true, but I doubt it was the fault of the presenters. The paper given to the panel explains the helium results clearly in section 3:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/Hagelsteinnewphysica.pdf

There is an old logical fallacy. Because we tried, we must be successful. Look at the results. Section 3 was largely ignored and what was covered in the review was the Appendix. Why was that? Well, perhaps, people remember most what they read last. To a CF researcher, the Appendix was of considerable interest. To the reviewers and the DoE, it was a colossal distraction, and they easily misinterpreted it, for reasons I could probably explain.

Some people feel this paper should have said more about Miles or Iwamura. I asked the authors, Hagelstein and McKubre, about that. They said they emphasized their own work because they understood their own work best, and they could discuss it in depth with the panel without fear of making a mistake or misrepresenting the work. That seems sensible to me.

Sensible and very wrong. There is another reason to discuss your own work. It's your work, you are close to it, you think it's important. And your judgment about that might well be clouded. The big lacuna is Miles, of course, very old evidence, and heavily verified. Really, a better effort might have been done by talking only about heat/helium, because it's a reframe of the replicability problem. It cuts through the most obvious objection to cold fusion, efficiently, as long as it isn't buried in less relevant and more controversial evidence. Appendix 1 was misunderstood because the point wasn't clear, and when I figured out the point, it was a truly minor one, important only with respect to *one* experimental example. Rather, because it reported, on the face, a series of experiments, there was a tendency to treat it as more than it was. People don't read "factually," they (mostly!) read emotionally and with some sense of the purpose of a writing, and if they get the purpose wrong, they will misinterpret and misremember the facts.

By the way, all those papers listed in the references were given to the panel members. I gather they were given big goodie boxes crammed with papers as take-home prizes (homework). So if they didn't get it, it was because they didn't do their homework. It isn't all that hard to understand, after all!

If you don't believe that the effect could be real, you won't read the papers, or you will skim them looking for some possible imaginary reason to reject them, even if, on examination, that reason turns out to be preposterous.

I do not know if, in fact, it could have been done more successfully. A one-day session is probably inadequate unless there is a lot of pre-session communication. Imagine that a mailing list had been set up, with all the reviewers anonymously subscribed (through googlemail or something like that), or a wiki had been set up for them, and for the presenters, and a wider community had been included as presenters. And each detail were hammered out and discussed.... Properly done, it would have been lower cost and possibly even more efficient than the actual face-to-face meeting. And there might have been some opinions shifted....

But it's speculation.