I think it is difficult to consider Japan's considerable achievements,
beautiful countryside and hard working people without also considering its
bleak future. Japan is dying.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/worldtonight/2009/09/is_japan_a_dying_nation.html

Japan is stuck in a long term deflationary slump it can't get out of.  It is
continuing to pile up a national debt that is frightening - and all the more so
since that debt will never be repaid by an elderly population. It's turning
into a cautionary tale about too much reliance on Keynesian ideas.

Having said all that, our nation is hardly much better.  We in the developed
nations desperately need a breakthrough in regenerative medicine and free
energy.  I am very fearful that anything less will condemn us to a modern day
Dark Age,