Terry,
        The surface forms Casimir geometry which suppresses the larger virtual
particles from fitting between the parallel surfaces - this is IMHO equivalent
to acceleration in the same way that gravity is except that this is a hill or
warp instead of a "well" ...an equivalent inertial frame like gravity but
highly variable - no slow gradients but rather changes inversely to the cube
[or quad for perfect metals] of the distance between the plates. These rapid
changes in suppression levels are the hidden metrics in catalytic action [a big
hint I like to cite is the researchers at Cornell found catalytic action only
occurs at the openings and defects in nanotubes]. These "inertial frames" can
become extreme to the point of relativistic effects. My posit is that atomic
hydrogen and molecular hydrogen do NOT translate the same between regions - the
molecular bonds of H2 oppose the translation compared to relatively little or
no opposition by atomic hydrogen. The ZPE is from the normally chaotic motion
of hydrogen gas supplied by HUP in opposition to the molecular bonds when the
motion tries to force h2 to translate - if the environment is correct [heated
close to disassociation level] this opposition can force HUP to discount the
disassociation threshold such that less heat needs to be supplied then is
released when the disassociated atoms reform a molecule at their new fractional
values.

My posit above is that fewer or smaller VP are NOT left in the suppressed void
but rather space-time fabric has a consistent density and cross section
population such that the fabric stretches to allow the larger VP to fit - a
poor man's route to relativistic space without the need for near luminal
velocity. Locally VP and any hydrogen occupying the suppressed region are
unaware of these changes and the Casimir boundaries appear to have shrunk away
to make room for them while from our perspective they appear smaller and time
dilated/catalyzed. Not that catalytic action is all time dilation but rather
the ripping action of constantly changing of the time rate as the gas migrates
through different zones like a shaker table where the hydrogen is from "our"
perspective being violently oscillated along the time axis.
Fran