Jones,

There too many theories to be partisan.  They all may be wrong.

First - E-C cannot occur in hydrogen.
Probably true, but plasma is not hydrogen.
Plasma e-p wave functions are not stationary.

Second - I agree - relativistic collisions can be ruled out.
That's why I conjectured direct conversion of potential energy might occur.

Third - E-C occurs in heavy atoms.
Yes.  That does not prove it cannot happen with different dynamics in
other circumstances.  W-L cite examples of anomalous neutron production
that MAY  be explained by E-C.  I am not sure.  The March 22
Celani-Srivastava presentation at CERN probably will cover this
- and W-L theory makes testable predictions.

Fourth - Why is neutrino capture is required?