At the most fundamental level, what makes capitalism work is trust. When a
lender provides capital to a borrower he trusts that the borrower will
repay the debt. Now a days, the lender takes out an insurance policy
(credit default swap) to guaranty the payment of the debt from a
well-capitalized and trustworthy middleman.

On the black day when all the borrowers and the insurance providers are all
seen to be untrustworthy, capitalism fails and the flow of capital stops;
the economy no longer exists.

What saved the day in 2008 was the US government. It became the insurer of
last resort and guarantied payment of all debt throughout the world, all
100 trillion dollars’ worth.

To make a political point, the tea party wanted to destroy the power of the
US government to do this function. They wanted the US to default on its
debt. The tea party will do so again if they get the chance.

The tea party really wants to destroy the foundation of capitalism which is
the perpetuation of global financial trust and the ability of the US
government to supply trust in world capitalism.

Cheers:   Axil