James Bowery wrote:

No. Patentability criteria are: Novel, non-obvious and useful. The utility of a patent does not exist if it doesn't actually work.

Correct. I think "useful" means "usable." That is, the invention does something, however trivial. It works. The purpose it is applied to may be trivial, or of no practical or desirable use to anyone. It does not have to have any commercial value. I base this on discussions with David French, and also on various websites that say things like: "the invention must have some usefulness (utility), no matter how trivial."

David French emphasizes that just because you get a patent, that does not mean the invention has any commercial value or that you will make any money from it. He says many patents are awarded for inventions that no one wants. They are "useless" in that sense.