On 09/19/2012 10:58 AM, Jed Rothwell wrote:
> [...]
>
> This has nothing to do with me. I am not in charge of policy at the
> U.S. Patent Office. They are the source of the problem. The purpose of
> a patent is to promote progress in technology by sharing information
> while protecting intellectual property. If the P.O. would do their
> job, information on cold fusion would spread as quickly as it does
> with any other commercial R&D.
>
> - Jed

I wonder why the Patent Office cares if the device actually works? The
criteria should be that the work is original, complex, and involved a
significant labor investment. Instead, we have Amazon patenting a 'point
a click' method of purchasing, and we have the 'cat and laser' patent.

http://www.google.com/patents/US5443036

These are nonsense, and threaten the whole concept of intellectual
property, whereas original, creative, labor intensive, design, is denied.

Craig