From: David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com>
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Sent: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 07:36:13 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Good Alloy for Celani type reaction costs 5 cents : Chuck
Sites
I read that carbon rods could be obtained at craft stores so I might take a
trip to find one if my stainless is a problem. Did someone mention that iron
might be a catalyst in Rossi's device? I guess I might get some for this
experiment by default.
Originally, I was using a second nickel for the electrode attached to the power
supply positive terminal. The problem I encountered with this choice was that
apparently copper oxide or nickel oxide forms very quickly in this arrangement
which greatly increased the resistance of the system. I had to clean off the
green mess quite often to keep the current at a modest level. Unfortunately, I
did not have any carbon around to try, so I used the best alternative which was
stainless. I have noticed that it is tarnishing now after several hours of
operation and, as you suggest, it might ruin the plating of the test nickel.
I bought some borax at the grocery for an electrolyte and today discovered that
people are using the sodium carbonate that you list below to repair rust damage
to metals. It is not clear why one would be better than the other since both
negative ions are non reactive. The original discussion about this experiment
pointed to the use of borax. I will use whichever is agreed upon.
I had a mischievous thought of heating the hydrogen loaded nickel in some
manner to see if that started a reaction. I am afraid to work with hydrogen
tanks due to fire and explosion hazard so a Rossi type device is off limits,
but nothing would prevent me from just heating the nickel in air. I am not
concerned that a major explosion is possible since I would be surprised if any
extra heat is released at all!
This set of experiments is mainly being conducted for me to learn about
electrolysis and electroplating. Any LENR activity would be welcome but not
expected with my crude setup.
Dave