From: a.ashfield [a.ashfi...@verizon.net]
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2013 1:58 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: RE: [Vo]:Another article about the impact of automation on employment

I should have described the difficulty of transition.
When a few companies have changed to fully automated production it is hard to
see how they can be made to use a shorter work week, earlier retirement, higher
taxes etc.  To impose those things just on companies changing to full
automation would lower the incentive to do so and dramatically slow the
transition.  Yet to impose those things on companies that have not yet made the
change would probably kill them.  I think the result is a transition that will
be much slower to take advantage of new technologies than one would otherwise
like.
It is already cheaper to make many things here with high automation, than to
buy them from abroad, from countries with low labor costs.  Then what happens
to those third world countries?   Meanwhile we have sustained, then growing,
high unemployment that we can’t afford.
If Rossi’s Hot Cat actually works as well as he claims, there is a chance it
could be the black swan event that would allow/pay for the transition.     The
slow, painful transition is more likely.