Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

People will argue that consumers cannot afford the additional hit to their
> pocket books.  I think this misses the point, since they're already bearing
> the price in other, less obvious ways, including monetarily.

Exactly. We often end up paying more than we would if the price was built
in to the product, because we waste resources.

> When WWII came along, and there was a huge industrial mobilization
> underway for the war effort, it placed a great burden on the US federal
> budget.  But I believe that all of that expenditure, which was no doubt
> wildly inefficient and directed towards all kinds of silly things, ended up
> serving as a massive stimulus, and the US did quite well economically after
> that.

There was a lot of wasted money. Some of the "goods" produced, such as
battleships, had little value as scrap after the war. There are two
revealing quotes from the people planning war production. I don't recall
who said them --

tanks" a general said, "It is better to make a thousand too many than one
not enough." I have read that toward the end of the war, the U.S. had more
destroyers in the Pacific than the Japanese had airplanes. That was
maniacal overproduction, I think.

Another person writing years after the war said something like: "We did not
worry about how much it was costing. We figured the American people were
more concerned about getting their sons and husbands back home alive than
they were about saving money." That was a sensible attitude. If I had been
a millionaire in 1942, I would far rather have lost every penny of my
fortune than lose my son.

The war did cause tax rates to go up to 90% for the richest people, a rate
that continued to 1964:

http://www.businessinsider.com/history-of-tax-rates

People did pay the dollar cost of the war. The national debt did not
actually decline in absolute dollars, but as a percent of the GDP it fell
considerably. That is the only meaningful measurement. It fell during the
Great Depression, which surprises me. See:

http://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/charts/policy/debt-to-gdp.html?federal-debt-gdp-ratio.gif

Here is the debt in inflation adjusted dollars, showing that it never
actually declined:

http://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/charts/policy/debt-to-gdp.html?federal-debt-tax-brackets.gif

Large, direct financial costs of WWII were still being paid from 1940 to
1964, with things like the Marshal plan, not to mention the Cold War and
nuclear weapons production, so it is no surprise the debt did not decline.