Dave--

My additional thoughts on the pairing of electrons.

The atomic chart reveals electronic structure of electrons in shells at various
distances from the nucleus.  The inner shells have fewer electrons than the
outer shells have and the inner shells when filled are filled with an even
number of electrons that have been paired.   As I understand the theory such
configurations are stable minimum energy states.  Thus pair electrons
constitute a lower energy state than single unpaired electrons in an atom
would.   However, since the electrons can not occupy the same energy state
within a QM coherent system, even any given pair do not have the same energy.
This is because the spin of each electron is on average opposite to its paired
neighbor.

I am not aware of experimental data that has indicated what the average
separation is.  In the theory I believe it is quite close and at an equilibrium
position that balances a spin attractive force to the coulomb repulsion force.
 It is I would guess like the Cooper Pairing we have discussed in the past and
potentially act like a boson with 0 spin.

If the magnetic field of an electron is cancelled out by the opposite magnetic
field of its pair, the resulting field is null.  Thus paramagnetic materials
that have a high magnetic susceptibility have lots of unpaired electrons in
their electronic structure that are able to line up in an external field and
increase the resulting magnetic field, those with fewer pairs respond to a
lesser degree to a external field.

Even though the electrons are paired, they do not lose their charge and they
represent a -2e charge at a distance from the pair that is  great with respect
to the distance between the charges in the paired electron quasiparticle.