Bob said:

The following quote from the abstract cited below from Nature seems like a
lot of hand waving to me.

Axil says:

>From what I can tell, this theory of how the fractional quantum hall
effect(FQHE) works is universally accepted in science and is one of the
backbone theories of how cooper pairs of electrons form in a superconductor,

Bob said:

"In effect, the repulsive Coulomb interaction between electrons is
overscreened in the  = 5/2 state by the formation of composite fermions,
resulting in a weak, attractive interaction."

Overscreened by what?

Axil says:

A magnetic field will produce a pair of vortexes of magnetic flux that
connects themselves to the electron. As the magnetic field increases,
addition pairs of vortexes are created in quantum steps.

These are  Anyons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anyon

“In physics, an anyon is a type of particle that occurs only in
two-dimensional systems, with properties much less restricted than fermions
and bosons; the operation of exchanging two identical particles may cause a
global phase shift but cannot affect observables. Anyons are generally
classified as abelian or non-abelian, as explained below.”

These vortexes are also called quasiholes. They have fractional positive
charge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_quantum_Hall_effect

“Laughlin states and fractionally-charged quasiparticles: this theory,
proposed by Laughlin, is based on accurate trial wave functions for the
ground state at fraction  as well as its quasiparticle and quasihole
excitations. The excitations have fractional charge of magnitude e=c/q.”

Bob asks:

A positive Coulomb charge?

Axil answers:

Yes, a fractional positive charge.

Bob asks:

Or maybe holes in the electron sea that seem a little positive with respect
to the rest of the sea?

Axil answers:

Yes. These are quasiholes that form in a two dimensional system in the
vacuum by a magnetic field and connect themselves to the electron.

GOOGLE quasiholes to see the theory behind the concept and observe how much
work has gone into this theory.