I have not looked closely but if he is pulsing the power through the coil
he may be sending magnetic pulses/square waves thru the unit, inducing
currents and creating charge clusters inside.

That is how my coral reef dissolver works...it gets 4 stars on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003Z96GR4/ref=pd_aw_sbs_3/177-0879451-8741201?pi=SS115

Stewart