In answer to jwinter

To my mind there are two separate evolution question problems that need to be addressed. The first, which you pick up on, is the evolution of the complex folding proteins, and the second is the evolution of the information that is used to define the complex structure of multi celled organisms (such as us). There are countless examples which show how duplication of whole or parts of genes genes, mutation of parts of genes can create complex proteins from simple proteins. Indeed the relationship between equivalent proteins in different organsisms can often be used to produce a 'family tree' or phylogentic tree which closely mirrors the accepted evolutionary relationship between the species, and shows how a simple ancestral protein gave rise to lots of complex variants in different plants/animals.

The evolution of structure/form and instincts which is what Darwin talks about, because he knows nothing of proteins, is very different because we still understand very little about how this is encoded into the DNA, although there is absolute evidence that it is. This is increasingly looking to be encoded in the 'junk' DNA in a much more distributed and robust way (like a hologram). These can change and mutate and give rise to variations in the organism without being lethal. A lot of the statistics that creationists use to show that evolution is improbable is based on the sequences in genes that encode for proteins, where small changes are frequently lethal. The statistics for the rest of the DNA is completely different, and I beleive completely compatible with the evolutionary model.

So, I see no need for additional injection or meddling in order that DNA could go from producing simple lifeforms to complex lifeforms, but I dont think this can be proved mathematically yet because we dont understand the 'junk DNA' coding rules yet. However, my hunch is that we are in for a big surprise when we finally work out what the coding rules are, but that is a different topic entirely.

And the first animal to emerge from the sea was not a frog, but probably shared some aspects of the way that it breathed with frogs.

Nigel

For quite a while I have wanted to ask someone working in your field about what DNA has to say about evolution of species so maybe now is a good time.

I have almost no doubt that physical life on this planet has evolved from a very simple looking self-replicating organism into the plethora of life forms which past and present have occupied it. But the mechanism by which this process occurs is still a complete mystery to me. I am totally convinced (from the maths) that random processes cannot by any means produce the complex folding proteins that are needed for life - so the question is how did they arise? Is it possible that the first life form (that as a minimum must have been implanted on this planet) could have contained in some condensed form sufficient information and machinery to evolve into all the life forms that have occurred? Or is it necessary that some additional injection or meddling was necessary along the way?

For instance, as I understand it, the frog was one of the first creatures to invade the land from the sea and all land vertebrates evolved from the frog. So one question would be, is there sufficient information in the DNA of a frog, to have the potential of developing (by pre-designed but natural means) into all the land animals that have occurred (and of course the sea mammals)? Or is it necessary to postulate some other source of DNA information which needs to be added to the limited information available in frog DNA?

So my question is really this:- From your knowledge of the DNA content of various life forms (and assuming the so-called "junk" DNA between gene coding regions actually contains useful information for possible future evolution), is there sufficient information in the DNA of simpler looking life forms to allow them to evolve into the more complex types, or does information need to be added?