On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 7:24 PM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> Apparently you have your fixed concepts of how the universe began

***Apparently you do not accept scientific evidence.  It is you who has a
fixed concept of how the universe began.

> and have a difficult time relating to flexible ideas.

***There is none so inflexible as a crackpot pushing some ridiculous ,
unsupported and unscientific idea such as "the universe has existed
forever".

> The reason I asked about 1 billion years before the big bang was to open
> discussion about the problem now facing our understanding of time before
> that event.  It was just rhetorical.

***It was stupid.  And if it were truly rhetorical, you'd have stated that
upfront rather than go into insult mode.

> How can you be sure that time or the universe has not been existing
> forever?

Why don't you just start here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_universe
and tell me where they went wrong?    And since you're the one saying you
need proof, provide proof of your supposition.   You won't because you
can't.

> Reference to the bible is not scientific and I know you are aware of that.

***Feel free to refute that wikipedia article, especially all its dangerous
biblical references.

> If you choose to think otherwise, then let others among us think with an
> open mind.

***It would appear that you think having an open mind is by throwing the
word "if" in front of a completely unsupported statement, then later on
claiming it was just a rhetorical question.  Your mind is closed.

> Is it your intent to stop creative thought?

***Is it yours?  Why do you go down unscientific paths of thought and then
at the same time denigrate biblical evidence?  Because your mind is closed,
not open.

> Please explain how you can prove that the universe truly began
> approximately 13+ billion years ago.

***Start with the wikipedia article.  Try to learn something.

> The measurements that have been conducted are continually subject to
> correction.  Unless God speaks directly to you then you are merely
> speculating.

***Tell that to the multiple scientific disciplines that have narrowed down
the range of time over the years.   Tell them they're merely speculating,
and that unless God speaks directly to them, they are incorrect.  Good luck
with that.

> Have you looked into the time dilation expected to occur near black hole
> event horizons?

***A little bit.  Do you accept the science surrounding it, or are you
going to backtrack when it is shown to you that the same kind of science
that talks about that is also the science that leads us to a 14B year old
universe.

> Most black holes are not considered to have a mass that is anywhere near
> as great  as the entire universe yet they are capable of bringing time to a
> standstill.

***No, they are not.  They are capable of slowing time down, not bringing
it to a standstill.

> On what basis do you claim that there is insufficient mass within the
> universe to reach that threshold?

***The latest lecture by Dyson, for one thing.  And other cosmologists.

> Perhaps you should review your statement and offer correction.

***Perhaps you should.

> Do you consider the universe to be contained within some
> physical boundary?

***This has no bearing on the discussion.  You're just fishing because
you're all riled up, you don't know what you're talking about, your
supposition is proven ridiculous, and you're anti-biblical to boot.  That's
a  lot of close-mindedness for someone who looks at himself in such an
opposite manner.

> Please show me a sound basis for this belief

***Already proceeding down a straw argument path, I see.

> and just because we can not see beyond a certain distance does not mean
> that it doesn't exist outside of our viewpoint.

***Interesting postulation.  But it has no bearing on the discussion at
hand, so perhaps you should take up your discussion with all the scientists
that have figured out through various means how old the universe is.

>   I am just speculating that time behaves in a similar manner.

***And your speculation is crap.  But in your close-mindedness, you have
raised your hackles.  If YOU are "just speculating", why do you denigrate
me for what you perceive as MY "speculating"?  Shouldn't speculation be
wrong for both sides in a debate, or right?  In this case you're arguing
that it's okay for you but not for me.  What an INCREDIBLY closed mind.