And so says Peter Amstutz on 08/02/06 09:11...
> On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Lalo Martins wrote:
>
>>> Yes... the main point of this thing is running python code, so I'd be
>>> using libpython anyway.  So I figured, the work of binding by hand would
>>> probably be less than figuring out how to integrate the swig bindings.
>>>
>>> Or in other words - why would I use the existing swig stuff?  :-)
>

> I think that you will find that in the long run that SWIG is much more
> maintainable that keeping up a set of bindings by hand.  First, since it
> generates them directly from the C++ API, you can avoid the situation
> where any change, no matter how small, causes the Python API to break.
>
> Second, complete coverage of the VOS APIs (including metaobjects) means
> wrapping dozens of classes and hundreds of method calls.  Do you really
> want to do that by hand?
> Anyways, the point is that you should take a closer look at SWIG if you
> haven't already.  A little bit of time spent learning how to use it will
> mean a huge time savings in the grunt work of actually setting up the
> code to interface each and every API call.

That's my point... those bindings serve a different purpose than the
swig bindings, and they're not *supposed* to wrap each and every API
call.  It's a much simpler, high-level interface.

The SWIG bindigns are a wrapper for the whole API.  AFAICS, there is no
way to take an existing Vobject from C++, turn it into a Python object,
and send it as an argument to a Python function.  SWIG simply doesn't do
this.  I may be wrong, but I couldn't find a way.  Rather, the python
code would create a new site, connect... and presumably receive URLs for
its arguments.  This is just silly.

best,
                                               Lalo Martins
personal:                              http://www.laranja.org/