"Maciej W. Rozycki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On 25 May 2001, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
>
> > >  Ah yes, I understand.  Due to SSL shared libs being placed in weird
> > > places, they cannot always be located by the dynamic linker.
> >
> > Even worse -- the dynamic linker doesn't find them even when they're
> > in the *standard* (default) places such as /usr/local/lib.
>
> It isn't a standard place, unfortunately, at least according to the
> SVR4 ABI, which ELF dynamic linkers usually conform to.

That's why I put "default" in parentheses.  The word "standard" has
many meanings, only one of them being "conforming to a written
standard."

>  Since after studying the script I see that the AC_TRY_RUN test is just a
> yes/no choice, this [ignoring AC_TRY_RUN if linking works] is
> actually the approach I've taken

Also note that in the meantime I tried to implement the same thing.

> I'm wondering if the RPATH test is needed at all.  Libtool knows how to
> hardcode paths into libraries for a number of operating systems and
> presents a consistent interface.  Couldn't we use it?

Libtool knows how to link the library, but it cannot tell you how it
works its magic.  That's a major fault in libtool, and since I was
forced to implement the "magic detection" for configure anyway, I'm
wondering why we're still using libtool at all.

I am not taking out Libtool yet out of courtesy to Dan (who is
currently too busy to participate), but I'm seriously considering it.

> Here are two patches I created working on wget over the weekend.  I have
> a few others available, as well: a libtool 1.4 update and fixes for
> autoconf 2.50.  I think the libtool update is worth considering now (1.3.5
> has a few nasty cross-compiling bugs) and autoconf fixes would be a
> post-1.7 item.  Do you want to see these changes as well?

Definitely.  I think we should stick to the libtool we have becaus,e
as I said above, I'm seriously considering replacing it.

The Autoconf 2.50 stuff is probably more appropriate for 1.8.

> 2001-05-28  Maciej W. Rozycki  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>       * configure.in: Don't fail the runtime linking test when
>       cross-compiling.

This does not apply cleanly because I changed the code in the
meantime.  Could you check whether my changes work for you?

>       * configure.in: Use $host_os and not $opsys to denote the host OS.

I'll apply this; thanks.