"Maciej W. Rozycki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > directly (that is bad juju).  Libtool, on the other hand, *is*
> > invoking linker directly.  But I'm digressing.
>
> That's an internal implementation detail.  I think we shouldn't care as
> long as it works.  Note that invoking ${LD} may have side effects (e.g.
> with gcc ld is called indirectly via collect2), so libtool may actually
> know what it is doing.

There's a bunch of reasons why Libtool is wrong in what it does, but
they're not worth discussing here.  As I said, it's just a digression.

> > Thanks a lot for the patches.  Could you clarify: are these patches
> > meant for Autoconf 2.50 only, or will they work with the older
> > Autoconf versions too?
>
>  They mostly work for 2.13 (except from the AC_MSG_RESULT_UNQUOTED
> invocation) but the AIX patch issues a warning when running autoconf and
> the quoting patches add superfluous brackets in the `./configure --help'
> output.

So most of them are not for 2.13?  Hmm, I'll have to investigate that
on my own, I guess.

> Can't comment the gettext patch -- that's weird in the first place,
> but it just implements what autoconf's ChangeLog suggests (why can't
> you use AM_GNU_GETTEXT so we have a single place to fix, anyway?).

Last time I checked, AM_GNU_GETTEXT expected you to bundle gettext
with your program.  IMHO unacceptable.