On Feb 16, 2009, at 12:20 AM, Tim Starling wrote:

> "Sanger was one of the founders of Wikipedia, and of its failed
> predecessor Nupedia, who left the fold because of differences over the
> question of the proper role of experts."
>
> Strange, I thought it was because he stopped being paid for it.

That's right.  (As your next quotation showed.)

> He then forgot about Wikipedia completely for a few years, and
> re-emerged
> a critic once the media started paying attention to it.

I think this does Larry Sanger an injustice, at least insofar as it
suggests that he's some sort of media whore.  From the beginning, he
wanted credentialed experts to compile the "real" encyclopedia, using
the general-public wiki as a "feeder".  He has strenuously made this
exact same objection--that letting just anyone edit the live
encyclopedia would introduce bias in favor of "idiots" with hobby
horses--from the very beginning, even before the project officially
started.

Ben