(oops.. gmail web client sent it before I was ready.. should have used
TBird!)

Sorry for the slow response, but family summer activities have slowed
things down more than expected. (on the contrary, I figured it would allow
for more time!)

Anyway, I got it to work!

The suggestion

        BUILDOPTEXTRA=-static-libgcc -static-libstdc++

Was close, but it seems those options only affect the compile phase, not
the linking.

My solution was to modify Perl's Makefile.mk
old: LINK_FLAGS    = $(LINK_DBG) -L"$(INST_COREDIR)" -L"$(CCLIBDIR)"
new: LINK_FLAGS    = $(LINK_DBG) -L"$(INST_COREDIR)" -L"$(CCLIBDIR)"
-static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ -static -lpthread

Of course I did it the Strawberry way...
    create a modified version of Makefile.mk as win32_Makefile.mk
    create my own   Eden.PP build script
    use the patch method to replace the Makefile as the build progresses.

Once that was built and installed, I added "C:\strawberry\perl\bin" to my
path, PerlApp found it and the resulting executable worked fine on a system
without GCC or other programs!

Thanks a lot for you guys' help and a great product!

Robert