> I do not know what industry you work in but in every industry I have
> worked in there is a great need for pixel precise layouts.
>
> When you go through 13 rounds of changes with a client and discuss
> things like the letter spacing on single superscript letters then you
> just might have to put in the odd hack.

Or it might be time to educate your client with regards to "the web is not
print". What's next: discussions about exact colour matching, across all
browsers?

> Browsers render differently, and while we might all like to say that
> hacks are bad and not needed I think that is a disservice to
> people just
> learning to use CSS-p for layouts.

In terms of taming browser bugs when it comes to layouts, yes...hacks
(clean CSS based workarounds, not ugly abuses of markup) are still
required...although it's nicer if one can get away with not having to
use them by reorganising the html (but I know, this is not always easy).

> When I was learning css part of learning all the browser quirks was
> learning how to get around them, but you cannot learn all
> that at once
> and sometimes you need to focus on learning part A properly
> before you
> move on to part B.

Very true. I find that the best thing is to first concentrate on the
standards-compliant, clean, ideal way of doing things (previewing
the work in standards-compliant browsers), just to get the idea of the
"bigger picture" of how things can and should be done. Only later should
one tackle the special cases in which hacks are required. So, going from
the general (the way it should be) to the specific (the few hacks you need
to achieve the ideal way).

> Clients and the many print trained art directors want pixel
> precision...

Again, part of the solution is educating the client. Heck, I've just had
a long winded discussion with a company sub-contracting me to do a bit
of web work, who kept saying "the pages need to all fit within the browser
window...scrolling is bad".

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford