On 9/8/05, Craig Rippon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Have filed a formal complaint against the instructor (who happens to run 10
> I am no longer attending his classes and may not get my Diploma.

Hi Craig,
Don't let it get you down, I went through exactly the same thing in
'03-'04 while attending Qantm in the Brissy CBD. Fortunately for me,
although most of my instructors had little to no experience with
current techniques, they at least understood why I stopped attending
after 6 months and instead chose to furiously study at home. I proudly
state that I gained the majority of my skill set from two sources,
blogs and codingforums.com (shameless plug!! ;).

Attending a private college whose techniques were so behind the times
taught me one very important thing: being a web developer is much like
being a musician -- you either wake up every day thinking "I am a
student; what can I learn today?" or you are retired.
I don't care if you're still working -- if you're not learning, you're
retired :)

So, after avoiding learning outdated techniques in favour of teaching
myself XHTML/CSS/unobtrusive scripting, my time studying and 5 figure
bill gave me exactly what I expected it to -- a piece of paper that
got me into job interviews.

In Australia it's all about the piece of paper, unfortunately :(

Once you're in the door, it's all about your skills. Don't talk porrly
of your former learning institute, just let the interview panel know
that you feared the educational sector's ability to keep up with a
field that shifts focus and methods as quickly as web development;
therefore, you took it upon yourself to ensure that your skills are in
sync with industry standards. (or 'developing standards', in the case
of early adoption of techniques/technologies).

Am I full of it? Is the above advice a complete load? Well, I wrote my
first HTML file in 2003 and I'm now a senior multimedia developer for
a 5 campus university -- the 'dream job' I focused on for all those
late, late nights in front of a glowing CRT :)

all the best,
Andrew.
http://leftjustified.net/