Yeah, it's better than what the original site had, but I am still not
convinced. Why not express what the link does? If the link starts a
"download of software", why not say so? I can understand that people are
against linking entire phrases such as "Click here to view information about
my Aunty Amaya", but a simple "Download Amaya" doesn't harm anybody, but
makes it, in my opinion, more userfriendly.

If you think about the phrase:

Download the "Amaya Software"

To me the link "Amaya Software" could still be taking you to a page that
explains about "Amaya Software". However, "Download Amaya Software" is a
straight forward, unambiguous link.

And this is independent to screenreaders. Let's say I come to a website
hoping to download the software. The keyword I am searching for is clearly
"download", in particular if the entire site is plastered with the term
"Amaya". Users scan the page and the things that stand out most are links.
So let's give them the keywords they are looking for - and in many cases
these keywords may be verbs.

On a different matter, I do like your suggestion on the "Accessible more
links". :)