Katrina wrote:
>> Forget about how it should be marked up or presented, the "issue" is
>> about *defining* what tabular data is.
>> What's your definition of tabular data?

> Data that is separated by a tab character (such as tsv files etc).

I don't think this relates *directly* to HTML though, it's a format for
tabular data exchange.

> To quote:
> A table can be a simple collection of data in tabular format
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/tables.html

But does using a tabular format makes the data tabular? Because in this case
what about the content of Definition Lists? I mean (when unstyled) a DD
shows with a tab indent, isn't it?

>> What for you makes a list of "name/value" pairs tabular data?

> Yes, because you still need to explain the relationships between the
> two. Those two pieces of data by themselves mean absolutely diddly
> squat. Is that the name of the current president of this organisation?
> Is this a member that is a president of another organisation? Is it a
> candidate running for president?

Are you saying that only a table would make sense of these "name/value"
pairs? I thought many agreed in this thread that there was a few
alternatives to the table. But anyway, this is not about what would be the
best element to mark it up but rather what makes some of us (most of us?)
think it is tabular data.

> tabular data requires the tab character (or the close web
> approximation to) and in some ways requires an explanation of the
> relationships and meaning between the data. (headers)

I totally agree with you on this last point (explicit relationship between
the data), but then in a simple two column table (note that I can see
exceptions here), there is a good chance that the data would make sense with
no headers at all, no?
In short, does the following makes sense to you or not at all:
President
    John Smith
Vice-president
    Janet Jones
etc.

There are tabs in there, which creates an implicit relationship...

---
Regards,
Thierry | www.TJKDesign.com