I've followed the technique below; I find it much simpler to follow these techniques (and change the fieldnames occasionally), than try to get accurate spam filtering at the server level. We actually hired a company, spamstop.ca, to filter our results for our College. It's better, but still a case of "I'm getting too much spam!" and then "I didn't get that email!"

For other email addresses (or projects), I've used Hiveware Enkoder ( http://hivelogic.com/enkoder ) and that seemed to work, with <noscript> pointing to a form or textual description of the email address. Seems to help...

Ray Leventhal wrote:
As a matter of preference, I generally try to eliminate all mailto:
links on any site I've been asked to work on. In place, I use a contact
form,

Anders Nawroth wrote:
Me too :-)

But then you get form-post spam after a while ...

To minimize form-post spam, I've taken to employing a technique I
learned early on in my phpBB admin days.  It amounts to including a
field which is extra and which must remain empty for any process action
to take place.

Visible text informing the *human* user to leave the field blank or risk their post not reaching the destination is placed clearly near the field.

The processing script is instructed to simply ignore the form if the
'extra' field has anything in it. In php, I do this with a combination
of trim and strlen on the $_POST['fieldname'] value.

Naming the form field attribute something interesting like
'email_address_confirm' makes this more effective.