It seems like we need a seperate 'service' that runs next to watir and deals
with any type of pop up

Psuedo code:

# this line tells the other service to expect a
# Modal dialog
dialog_clicker :expect => 'Windows Modal' , :click => 'ok'

@ie.button(:value , 'Show Modal').click

# the service now watches for dialogs and clicks them

Im not sure how you would work this into actually accessing modal dialogs, maybe

dialog_clicker :expect => 'Windows Modal' , :ignore

you could also query it:
puts dialog_clicker.last_text

Paul