Thanks for your detailed response!

Bret Pettichord wrote:

> Watir 1.5 supports the modal_dialog command which supports #2 above. A
> good argument could be made that it needs to have a more-specific name.
>> And here:
>>
>> Deliver new DLL that allows us to access DOM embedded in modal web dialogs
>> http://jira.openqa.org/browse/WTR-14
>>
>> WIN32OLE patch for Modal Web Dialog Support
>> http://jira.openqa.org/browse/WTR-2
>>
> Both of these tickets relate to improving the existing modal web dialog
> support (showModalDialog). At this point, I no longer have plans to work
> on them and no one else has volunteered to work on them. Probably the
> biggest problem with our current support for showModalDialog is that it
> only works with Ruby 1.8.2. Fixing this would require that IEDialog.dll
> be rewritten as an activex component.

Doesn't WET already handle modal dialogs pretty well?  What would be
involved in integrating WET's functionality into Watir?

>>  Provide cleaner interface and more reliable support for modal windows
>> dialogs (i.e. replace winClicker.rb)
>> http://jira.openqa.org/browse/WTR-4
>>
> Although this is desirable and many people have talked about helping
> with this, we've seen few actual contributions. Personally, i have
> almost always found ways to avoid these dialogs, so I have never had
> much motivation to fix this myself.

I would like to help, but I don't feel competent enough yet to do any
good.  I'd imagine that others probably feel the same way.  Perhaps it
would help attract more help if there were some tutorials on the
architecture of watir?

>> Since integration of the various watirs is also part of the roadmap, I
>> expect that some of the better modal dialog support will also be
>> migrated to the other watir flavors.   Perhaps I have the wrong impression?
>>
> The show_modal_dialog support in watir 1.5 is specific to IE. So no. It
> would be handy to have a better windows library for handling general
> windows dialogs, and if we had that, then it would also help for firefox
> -- you could use it there too, although I know that Angrez is focussing
> on features that would not be platform specific. All of the mechanisms
> that we currently using in Watir (autoit, winclicker, win32api) are
> windows specific, so known of them would be migrated to other platforms.

Is there a design document for what such a library should have?

Chris