[...]

> BTW - does anyone know why the mga driver internally converts to 422
> format ? It seems to me that mga 400 and 450 chips do support 420
> planar format... (I saw some sample code using it, I can probably find
> it back if needed). I think XFree would benefit from using this
> feature instead of converting to nonplanar 422.

I also wrote a patch for this several months ago (even before XFree86-4.1.0).
If you're interested, I've uploaded it here :

http://rambo.its.tudelft.nl/~ewald/XFree86-4.0.99.3-mga-xv-planar-data.patch

It's about 13% faster decoding DVD movies on a PII-350 using planar format
instead of converting to YUY2. Unfortunately, the Matrox hardware is not
capable of filtering the chrominance component in vertical direction, so you
can't have that at the same time.

> Cheers,

bye,

ewald