That's fair. The only problem is that if they're documented in the mapping spec, browsers are technically non-compliant if they don't implement.

On 7/09/2016 2:58 PM, Dominic Mazzoni wrote:
Is there any reason we shouldn't *define* the reverse relationships now? Browsers can choose not to implement them now for performance reasons, and AT can choose to ignore them.

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 7:16 PM Richard Schwerdtfeger <sch...@us.ibm.com <mailto:sch...@us.ibm.com>> wrote:

    Jamie,
    Well you can add reverse relationships later if it becomes an
    issue. The only problem with adding it later is you will also then
    need to test if that reverse relation ship exists and what to do
    with older browsers that won't have the relationship.
    Rich

    Rich Schwerdtfeger

        ----- Original message -----
        From: James Teh <ja...@nvaccess.org <mailto:ja...@nvaccess.org>>
        To: Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
        surkov.alexan...@gmail.com
        <mailto:surkov.alexan...@gmail.com>,
        ble...@freedomscientific.com
        <mailto:ble...@freedomscientific.com>, jdi...@igalia.com
        <mailto:jdi...@igalia.com>
        Cc: accessibility-...@lists.linux-foundation.org
        <mailto:accessibility-...@lists.linux-foundation.org>
        Subject: Re: Reverse relationships
        Date: Tue, Sep 6, 2016 7:34 PM

        As I noted previously:

        5. Reverse relations may well be useful in the future.
        However, if they're a potential perf problem, I agree it
        makes sense to wait until we have a use case, so long as
        implementers accept that this use case may one day arise.

        Right now, we have no plans to implement a "jump to field for
        error message" command or similar. Perhaps we will one day,
        but it seems flawed to sacrifice performance for something no
        one is using yet.

        Jamie