On 8/09/2016 9:22 PM, Alexander Surkov wrote:
Thank you, Jamie. I'm taking that screen readers may need to a context element, when error message pops up, as a use case for a reverse relation (if not, please correct me).
I think we'd more likely use it if the user is reviewing a form (rather than when the message appears). For example, perhaps error messages appear somewhere other than right next to the control. The user might want some way to navigate to the control. Honestly, we have no plans to implement this, but I think it's a reasonable use case.

Could you also comment my guess about aria-details? If a screen reader skips aria-details elements when navigating, then what mechanism we'd use for aria-details element detection.
I don't think we would skip them. (We don't skip descriptions now either.) If they're visible on screen, they should be visible to the screen reader user. However, Brett did express a desire to be able to access the element referenced by details. Brett, could you perhaps provide a use case?

I'll go ahead and review the proposed change as is regardless. I'd still like to see a use case for details reverse, though.

Jamie

--
James Teh
Executive Director, NV Access Limited