since Avinash has invited a discussion on this, here are my 2 bits on
a few possible, but not necessarily optimal, solutions: of course what
Payal went through is very real, and these tips are not in any way, a
counter to her experience. these are just a few pointers off the top
of my head that may help some1 in a particular situation, , a lot of
which u all may already be aware of.
1. if i know that a particular person is going to be in the same
social gathering as myself, whether from work, friends, or family
members, i'd ask them a day in advance, if they'd be ok to be with me
during that gathering, and accompany me during meals, etc. if i can
ask more than 1 person, nothing like it. i could even divide the time,
spend it half with 1 accompanist, and the other half with the other.
often when the accompanist realises that he/she was not the only
option, they are more eager/ willing to accompany.
2. if i'm on the same table with a group of people, and if every1 is
part of a single conversation, then i too will proactively participate
in that conversation, even if i am not asked something directly. i'd
of course hope that i say something remotely sensible/ interesting
enough for people to take notice of me, and realise that here is also
a person at the table, equally part of the group. its not always
possible, but it is just 1, among many strategies to use when
feasible.
3. sometimes, i can be the initiator of a conversation at the table.
by making some general statement about the food, or the function,
something mostly positive, to which other people may be likely to
respond. e.g. this biryani is really awesome! or, has any1 tried the
dessert yet?
4. if i know that a particular person is sitting somewhere near me,
then i can call out to her and start off a conversation for every1 to
hear. e.g. Payal, i read your latest blog. it was wonderfully written!
this is surely a good conversation starter, and there's very little
chance that people will ignore me after that. at least not till the
end of that particular conversation.
of course, people sitting immediately next to me would be the simplest
to start chatting to, but those conversations may not reach the rest
of the group.
6. this last 1 may not be very appealing to many, but it has worked
for me. if i want something and there's no1 around to call, i just get
up off the chair and start walking towards nowhere. this is almost
always likely for some1 to notice me and offer to help. smile.

7. i could also inform the main organiser/ host of the event, to
arrange for some1 to be with me during the program and accompany me
throughout. i think that often its not that people don't want to help.
they just avoid it because they don't know how to initiate/ interact
with the likes of us. in such cases, and from all the above points,
the main thing to take home is that for better for worse, we are the
ones who need to give them that slight nudge/ push, to engage/
interact  with us. sadly, people haven't reached that level of
sensibility yet, for them to not feel awkward around us. i in fact was
reading about this just this morning. don't remember where. that
children usually never find it difficult to come forward and initiate
an interaction with us. it is the adults. who start building these
walls as they become less sure of their own selves. and thereby, less
sure of the "others". in quotation marks. so as long as we're the
first to extend a hand, we can hope that we've done our bit and that
the ball is no longer in our court.

Shireen.