Dear Access Indians,

I would like to put forward the following points,

1. Regarding the qualification criteria: I don't think that fixing the
qualification criteria will be a good idea. In some places getting a
good scribe is a difficult task, in such situation if the criteria is
fixed it will become more difficult. If the criteria is fixed as one
grade lower than the minimum qualification, when we go for
examinations which are competitive in nature, the scribe may be or may
not be able to understand the answer/equation quickly. As a result,
the candidate has to repeat the answer/equation to record it correctly
in the answer sheet. This reduces the competency of the candidate in
the competitive examinations which are time bound as well. So fixing
the educational qualification will not be favourable for visually
challenged candidates.
For example when I say the equation "A plus B divided by A minus B the
whole raise to N minus 1", the scribe who is not even familiar with
such equations may interpret the same in many ways such as
a. the "whole raise to N" applicable only to the "A minus B portion"
b. The whole raise to N applicable to the entire "A plus B divided by
A minus B" portion
c. the "minus 1" applicable to the entire "A plus B divided by A minus
B the whole raise to N" portion
d. The minus 1 applicable only to the "A minus B" portion
So ultimately to arrive at the right answer the candidate has to work
out the same problem for couple of times. This time taking activity
badly affects the competency of the candidate. In this scenario, even
if the candidate has excellence, the success of the candidate depends
up on the quality of the scribe as well.

2. Computer and Braille as examination mode: All the visually
challenged people especially the people who are not visually
challenged by birth might not be comfortable with Braille. Regarding
the computer proficiency, I think only a minority group of people
among us are confident to take up a competitive examination using
computer. So forcing the visually challenged candidates to opt for
either computer or Braille may demoralise the applicants.

3. Provision of scribe by the examination body: Generally the quality
of the scribe provided by the examination conducting authority is very
poor which also affects the competency of the candidate. So the
applicants should have an option to bring their own scribe.

So I would like to support the following views expressed by other list members

1.      The applicant should have the freedom to bring his/her scribe
2.      The qualification criteria of the scribe should not be fixed. Even
if the qualification criteria is fixed in the worse case, the fixed
criteria should be reasonable to accommodate a good scribe without
doing injustice to the competency of the applicant)
3.      The applicant should have an option to choose the mode of
examination such as scribe, computer and Braille
4.      If we compromise in the UPSC and SSC examinations, for sure the
other examination bodies will take advantage of it which would prevent
the blooming visually impaired talents from entering the main stream
5.      In case of UPSC and SSC examinations, none of the candidates are
selected without a personal interview. So even if a candidate gets
through the written examination by cheating, he/she will not survive
the interview. So it is sure that the undeserving candidates will
never find a place in the finishing point.

Best Regards,

Jerin Jose
Cell: +91-9539510031