Good morning Erica,
This topic is covered in a few policies.

Excerpt from the Purchasing Goods and Services policy
<https://policy.umn.edu/finance/purchasing>

Employees who have purchasing responsibility must document a commitment to
ethical purchasing practices by signing a *Purchasing Code of Ethics for
Department Employee Responsible for Buying*
<http://policy.umn.edu/sites/policy.umn.edu/files/forms/codeofethics.pdf>.
Purchasing Services employees must document their commitment to ethical
practices by signing a Purchasing Code of Ethics.

The Purchasing Code of Ethics refers to Minnesota Statute 15.43 ACCEPTANCE
OF ADVANTAGE BY STATE EMPLOYEE; PENALTY. Subdivision 1.Financial interest
of agents. No employee of the state or of the University of Minnesota in
direct contact with suppliers or potential suppliers to the state or the
university, or who may directly or indirectly influence a purchasing
decision or contract by establishing specification, testing purchased
products, evaluating contracted services, or otherwise has official
involvement in the purchasing or contracting process may:

   1. have any financial interest or have any personal beneficial interest
   directly or indirectly in contracts or purchase orders for goods or
   services used by, or purchased for resale or furnished to a department or
   agency of the state or the university; or
   2. accept directly or indirectly from a person, firm, or corporation to
   which a contract or purchase order has been or may be, awarded, a rebate,
   gift, money, or anything of value other than items of nominal value. No
   such employee may further accept any promise, obligation or contract for
   future reward.

*Excerpt from the Conflict of Interest Procedure *(
https://policy.umn.edu/operations/conflictinterest-proc03)

II. Purchasing

No employee in direct contact with suppliers or potential suppliers to the
University, or who has direct or indirect influence over purchasing
decisions or contracts, or otherwise has official involvement in the
purchasing or contracting process may:

   1. have any financial, business, or personal interest directly or
   indirectly in contracts or purchases of goods or services used by the
   University; or
   2. accept, directly or indirectly from a person or business to which a
   contract or purchase of goods or services has been or may be awarded, any
   gift as defined in Board of Regents Policy: Gifts Received and Given by
   Regents and University Officials. No employee may further accept any
   promise, obligation, or contract for future award. See Minnesota State
   Statute 15.43.

Michele

--
Michele Gross, Director